Follow
Read More
Massach, I love it! Lemon slices in a water bowl - I'll bet her Chows actually do have special water bowls. But Chows are special dogs in my mind; I love Chows!

Folding napkins like swans is one of the reasons why some of her ideas are so unrealistic. Imagine having all that time to sit and make cloth origami figures after doing the laundry.

Any more Martha jokes to share? I'd enjoy reading them.
(1)

GardenArtist, I can't think of any off the top of my head right now, but I certainly will post them when I do think of them. Thanks for the input! I do wish I had time like that as well as the money she makes! CM
(0)

"President Bush got an early Christmas gift. This week, President Bush was chosen as 'Person of the Year' by Time magazine. Not only that, Martha Stewart was chosen as person of the year by Doing Time magazine." --Conan O'Brien

"Martha Stewart published her recipe for disaster -- mix one part arrogance with two parts incompetence, simmer in the juices and then serve hot in the can." —Jay Leno

"Tough times for Martha Stewart. Yesterday, Martha Stewart reported to her parole officer and had to take a mandatory urine test for cocaine and marijuana. Martha was found to be drug-free and her urine was found to be a lovely yellow saffron." —Conan O'Brien

"Martha Stewart was convicted of four counts of lying and obstruction of justice and could serve up to 20 years in Congress." —Craig Kilborn

"Martha Stewart was found guilty on all charges. You know what that means, stripes are in this year." —Jay Leno
(3)

One of my favorite things we do almost everyday,is take a walk around the block.We started the walks after Mothers hip replacement when she was on a walker.Now 9 years later,she is on oxygen in a wheelchair but we are together appreciating the beauty that surrounds us.The neatest thing is that we have a cat that walks around it with us and we see the neighbors outside.Mother never had time to stop and smell the roses before she broke her neck but now she does and its awesome.
(5)

One of my favorite things...night time and Mama is smiling and in a happy mood. I get her fluffed up and ready for the night and get to hug her..one of those really cozy hugs where you get her and the pillow and just smoosh them nice and close...tonight she said "hey!" but she was smiling...I said a prayer and she is asleep...nice and cozy with her kitty curled up beside her...one of my absolute most favorite things of all....
(3)

Hi! I submitted a few jokes about Martha Stewart a few days ago. My son likes jokes and since he told me those, I asked if he knew anymore, so here goes! She has a show demonstrating crafts and tells the audience that "Today we're going to teach you how to turn an ugly tracking device into an attractive piece of jewelry!'
When she was in jail, she told all the inmates that "Stripes are in this year"! Hope these will bring a little chuckle to all of you. Have a great, safe Labor Day weekend.
(2)

Lucky and Hope, your posts are very touching, very emotional. Thanks for sharing and helping to realize how much joy there can be in caregiving.

Glad and Massach, thank for the Martha jokes. I laugh everytime I read them.
And isn't it just typical that she'd turn a GPS device into jewelry!

Mina, you touch on so many of the natural things that are comforting. I love watching fireflies in their nightly dances, have never but would love to see a whale, and of course follow the butterflies as they flit from one pollinator plant to another in the garden.

This year I let the mulleins grow freely and had more butterflies, including a new one I've never seen. I still haven't identified it.
(3)

Garden Artist, tried to get butterfly milkweed to attract the butterflys--it was too early. Planted seeds, nothing happened! What is a mullein and is it something I can buy and then just water? Needed those butterflies!
(0)

There are the domestic and an apparently unwanted nonnative milkweed variety which shouldn't be planted. I don't recall all the details - I think the nonnative variety was invasive. If you bought good seeds through a seed company, you probably had the domestic variety. When did you plant the seeds, and how did you prepare your soil? In what zone are located?

I've never planted the milkweed - it just grows naturally although I didn't have any this year.

Some gardeners I met on a now defunct gardening forum cultivated butterflies - they used jars to place milkweed or parsley, attract the butterflies, then they took care of the caterpillars until they morphed. I think I have the directions on my old computer.

Mullein is also known as verbascum. It's a wildflower, grows naturally when conditions are right. I guess they were this year because I had about 3 dozen volunteers. But they had trouble blooming; they'd get started, then stop, start again, then stop. Must have had something to do with the weather.

The stalks have the best posture of any wildflower I've seen! The leaves are pretty, kind of fuzzy like the lambs' ear plants, but I've read that they're miserable to the skin if touched when dried. So they need to be cut back and/or composted before the leaves become dried as the season ends.

This is what they look like:

https://www.google. c o m /search? (spaces added so the link won't be deleted)

q=mullein,+verbascum&biw=1097&bih=534&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CC8QsARqFQoTCOzR0sDs3scCFc4JkgodcbAISQ.

Mine look like the one in the first photo on the left in the first line. They're beautiful when the tall seed stalk blooms, but mine never had more than a few blooms. Still, the butterflies enjoyed them. And they were stately in the garden. Some only grew a few feet but at least a few of them are probably close to 8 feet tall. Next year I think I'll interplant them with sunflowers - they're both tall plants.

So you're a butterfly lover too?
(1)

Forgot to answer one of your questions. I'm sure you could probably get seeds, possibly from one of the wildflower seed companies. If you can pick wildflowers in your state (it's illegal in mine), you could also just cut off a seed stalk and plant it. I'm going to cut the seed stalk in sections and plant the sections this year to see what happens next year.
(1)

Zinnias are common, tough as nails flowers that the butterflies seem to love to visit.
I've never tried the cultivated varieties of mullein but when I had a bigger garden I often left some of the 'weeds' to grow in out of the way places, they have such nice fuzzy grey leaves!
Asclepias tuberosa or butterfly weed is a prairie native milkweed that is spectacular in the garden and attracts lots of butterflies and other insects, plants are often found in garden centres. I was lucky there is a big plant at our new home but so far I've never had any monarchs lay eggs on it.
If you want black swallowtails all you have to do is plant some parsley or carrots, I even had some caterpillars on my little potted carrots this year!
(3)

Garden Artist! Thank you so much! You are so well informed about all this, guess I should get educated. I do love to see butterflys, they remind me amid the chaos, God has a better plan. My sister practically demanded everyone to plant milkweed because the butterflys (and bees) are going extinct. Once saw a monarch butterfly hatch at a state park in the redwoods. We, (my husband and I) are now located in So. California, I call it the high desert, others call it Magic Mountain.
There is a worrisome factor: Neighbors are prolific pesticide sprayers, without regard to our preferences. When one can smell the spray coming in the open windows, that is a problem. But there is an abundance of hummingbirds, hummingbird feeders, and a pretty delicate hummingbird flower across the street.
(0)

Cwillie! Thank you for that. Zinnias are great looking for fall. I will get some, but not sure if they bring ants or repel ants. Since they are tough, that'll do nicely. Just killed two sago palms our neighbor gave us, within 4 months after they moved. Roses and other flowers grow better across the street, thinking it's because they are protected from scorching hot afternoon sun. A few neighbors make comments that we deserve a yard of the month award, but that is not really true. It is just that they see my husband hand trimming some stuff out there!
(0)

Central and Glad! Keep those jokes coming, loved the martha jokes. Need cheering up on Saturdays, for some reason. Do others find it traditional that the wife cleans toilets on Saturdays while the husband takes off? Never could clean, clean, then feel like getting dressed up to go out. Pretending its not Saturday. No longer get out that much, but still trying to visit doggys at the shelter. That would be my favorite thing for today. Hoping that every caregiver can find some holiday activity this labor day weekend and join the rest of the world in a little joy. Please, even just a little bit, do it for you!
(2)

Swiss cheese
(1)

Re: butterflies. Love them!! I'm in heat and cold zones 10 if anyone wants to talk about plants. I have so many butterfly food and larval plants. It's easy here in west central Fl.

One of my fave moments: When 2 butterflies twirl around each other in flight as they go higher and higher! It's butterfly love to me. It also reminds me of my relationship with Christ. I sometimes imagine he and I are like the 2 butterflies intertwined, twirling upwards in our delightful relationship with each other.

Does anyone else have some kind of favorite moment related to butterflies? Or flowers?
(0)

No but we have a lot of bald eagles here and have you ever seen it when they get their talons attached to each other and twirl around in the air. Now that is something to behold.
(1)

CWillie, aha! Another gardener! It's like a family reunion to find other gardeners on a forum!

I've never seen butterflies on carrots but since they do like parsley and carrot tops are similar in texture, perhaps that's the attraction.

I couldn't help thinking of this post yesterday as I saw dozens of milkweed plants beginning to yellow.

SendMe, I too have read about the Colony Collapse Disorder (doesn't that sound like something from the DSM?) that addresses the devastating bee decline. I've even been thinking about becoming a beekeeper, but I can't keep up with what I have on my plate now.

But I do think that as good citizens, we have a responsibility to help the pollinators if we can, especially since pollinator plants are easy to integrate into our yards.

As to the pesticide sprayers, that's a really tough situation, bad for you and your family as well as the pollinators. Unfortunately, some people just refuse to educate themselves about the dangers of pesticides. I'm wondering if your city has any code restrictions that address excessive use of pesticides, or does California have any? CA has been ahead of the nation on certain issues, so maybe they could help.

Having to smell pesticides in one's own home is disgusting.

There's another option and that's to create a pesticide absorbing fence, something very tall and natively hardy to stop the spray, but I'm also wondering if the prevailing winds would just blow it over into your yard?

Have you or any of you family become ill from the pesticides? Hopefully not, but if so, perhaps you could raise the issue not only with the city's code enforcement but with the county's health department since the pesticides are toxic and could be compromising your health.
(0)

CWillie, Sendme, and Colorescue (hope I didn't miss anyone), I've just started a Garden Therapy Discussion post so we can talk about just gardening!

https://www.agingcare.com/discussions/Gardening-as-therapy-187150.htm

I might copy some of my posts here to that thread; you're invited to do the same and we can pick up the discussion there.

I do have one favorite story to share about a butterfly. I found it on the pavement in a parking lot, which I thought surprising. After watching it a few moments, it seemed to be injured or disabled. So I gently picked it up and put it in my car to take home to my garden, which I did.

I found a nice place for it, picked some flowers and put out some water, but it died by the end of the day. I was saddened, but I do think that whatever injuries it had that apparently prevented it from flying might have been too severe for it to survive. And with that limitation, it could have been prey for anything that might have sauntered by in my yard.

It was such a dainty little thing, soft to the touch, something like a kitten not in texture but just in feel.

For a moment I thought perhaps I could have bonded to this lovely little creature.
(1)

Gershun, I've never seen an eagle in the wild...plenty of hawks, but no eagles. When they link together, is it a mating ritual?
(0)

The bald eagles have been returning to Ontario in recent years and I was thrilled to see one flying over as I was driving one day. I almost drove in the ditch I was so busy looking up, good thing it was a rural road!
(1)

Garden we have tons of eagles here in British Columbia. I've heard people say that they are just playing when they attach their talons like that. But it is a beautiful thing to see no matter why they are doing it.

There is an eagle count every year here by conservationists to make sure the count isn't getting smaller cause they are a protected species here.
(1)

Gershun, can you tell us any more about the eagles grasping talons and twirling around in the air? It sounds phenomenal! I've never seen them do that.
(2)

GardenArtist,
I love your idea! I've tried several ways to go to the site you printed, but I can't get it to work. Any suggestions?
(1)

Coloresue, I assume you're thinking about the Garden Therapy thread?

You're right; the link no longer works. Thanks for pointing that out. I got an error message when I tried to access it via the link I posted.

I just bumped that thread up to the top of the Discussion section, copied the link and tried to access it. Same problem - server error.

Try going to the home page, then scroll down to the Discussion section and click on the topic. Hopefully that works!

I don't know what the problem is - at first I thought maybe the admins deleted my thread.
(2)

I wonder if the eagles are performing their own version of an aerial ballet?

I'd love to see that - it must be spectacular.
(2)

Coloresque I wish I was better at describing things. But its just how you would picture it. Its almost like trapeze artists at the circus. You know how they jump off the trapeze and grab each others feet or hands.

Of course when the eagles do it its simply breathtaking. Its almost like they are doing a sort of dance. I've only seen it live once but I'm sure you could probably google it.
(1)

I found one photo of 3 eagles locked in a triangle, and apparently not in a friendly embrace:

dailymail.co /news/article-1214139/Pictured-Three-eagles-lock-talons-plunge-ground-mid-air-battle-fish.html

Google "eagles locking talons" for more photos. Apparently this is a mating ritual.
(1)

Amazing! Thanks, Gershun, for bringing this up. Thanks, GardenArtist, for the link. Here's part of the commentary on the pictures:
'This happens like you can see in a fight over fish and also in courtship - they hook their talons for a couple of seconds and stop flying while they let themselves fall down close to the ground before they unhook the claws.'
(1)

Watching an episode of mamas family from the old carol burnett show...makes me scream with laughter! Poor eunice! Sincerely, eunice
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter