Follow
Read More
Coloresue, I am definitely considering the idea of becoming a snowbird some day and joining the annual migration south. Or maybe I'll just have to find a nice IL community and hide out indoors for the winter. I would need access to a nice sunroom with a view though, I couldn't get by without at least the illusion of being a part of nature!
(2)

Cwillie, A SUNROOM OR SOLAIRIUM!!! Oh how I would Love one for the winter months! After my parents passed away 11 years ago, my 3 sisters and I went to England and Wales on a 3 weeks vacation, and it was glorious to finally get to see my parents homeland. My Uncle and Auntie live in Swansea, Wales and they have a pretty big Sun room off the back of their house and we spent a lot of time eating and having tea and pastries out there daily. On the second to last day, a Sunday afternoon, we were out there reading the paper, and I was dreading having to come home, so I read in the adverts, for a Small Crystal Chandelier, which I of course had to have. Well my Uncle said let's go into town, and we did. It was pouring rain, and the stores were about to close, so we went to the lighting department, and the only Chandelier available was the one hanging on display, so my Uncle requested it be taken down and wrapped up for me. Yea! Somehow, my Auntie shoved it into my already overweight suitcases, and I managed to get my Crystal Chandelier home completely intact and no breaks or cracks. Yea! One of my favorite things!
(2)

cwillie and staceyb1960:
A sunroom or solarium sounds just perfect!!! We have a smallish room like that (called a Florida room here) but had to convert it to a bedroom. But we've installed french doors all along our wall that views the backyard. A view of nature and it's activities is a must!! We can see well out of both the front and back of our house. We live in suburbia where side yards are small but the others are much larger.

Yes!...to being part of nature! We are near beautiful beaches and parks but I also wish we were near forests so I could take walks or simply sit and observe.
(1)

Coloresue, that makes only two people I know who like Don Francisco. Just love his parody about churches. Can watch him on youtube, ya know.
(2)

There was definitely a happy bird out back having so much fun, I had to go look, early at 7 a.m. for several hours. It must have been a mocking bird, mocking me for dreading Monday. Lifted me up so much, we were able to get laundry done early, helped each other, the way it should be more often.
(1)

My husband surprised me by posting my grand-neice as my avatar for today.
(1)

My favorite thing today is that Veronica has posted 'on my mind', Veronica91.
Was it Blannie that posted how to get to Veronica's wall?
(2)

Sendme2help,
I knew we had to be a small group who were fans of Don Francisco. I find it amazing we even discovered this in common. Thanks for the tip; I never suspected he was on YouTube. I'll check it out.
(0)

A favorite thing: I'm outside at midnight or so putting trash cans out for tomorrow's pickup and all seems quiet. The night is beautiful and the stars are silently glittering.

Suddenly I hear a bird singing his heart out, changing songs without pausing. He sings loud and clear and the sound carries far. I spot him on top of the light pole, very high up. He never quits singing though I'm the only one to hear him as far as I know. An excellent show with no admission and I'm the exclusive audience to have witnessed this energetic singer!

The mockingbird
(3)

Last week I was at my father's house. As soon as I opened the car door, I could hear dozens of birds tweeting and chirping, not in unison but more like a multitude of soloists. I don't know what kind they were; I couldn't even see them in the foliage of the many maple trees.

But they were literally singing their hearts out....dozens of them. I decided it was their Ode to Autumn.

It just seemed so appropriate for the promise of fall, for the soft sun filtering through the trees, the calm air and the reminder that Summer will soon be ceding to Autumn's dominance and brilliant colors.
(3)

Ah, maybe the birds know something we don't yet. They are happy, so encouraging!
(1)

Well, birds don't listen to Donald Trump or worry about paying taxes.

On the other hand, I really wouldn't want to live in a tree!
(2)

GardenArtist, are those two of your favorite things? Listening to Donald and worrying about taxes? {{ lol }}. Entertainment for the Nation, that is the don.
How are you today?
(1)

Speaking of birds i like those ones that go Chicka dee dee dee.
(2)

I passed some herons today, looking for their next meal. The large white one was concentrating on stalking it's prey. It's so graceful with that long, thin body and beautifully pure white. The other was a much smaller blue heron, equally focussed on it's business of finding a meal amongst the taller plants in the water. A strong blue/grey color made it stand out. I saw some wood storks, too. Seeing these birds along the way makes running Mom to the hairdressers so much more pleasant and exciting! Nature does that for me.
(1)

Internet service that is actually working well for a change, feeling good, getting things accomplished, something fun and interesting to read, a restful night's sleep, good news, happy family memebers, a solution to a perplexing problem, a yummy comfort food meal, warm fudge filled chocolate cake
(1)

Magic words: "warm fudge filled chocolate cake." All my dreams come true when thinking about such a delicacy.

And the blackberry cheesecake served by Ruby Tuesdays also falls into this category. Pumpkin cheesecake is another favorite.

Herons are stunning creatures... so elegant, so stealthy, yet so beautiful. They and egrets have the ability to stand so perfectly still for such a long time. Wish I had that great posture they do!

Swans are favorites of mine as well. One of the lakes we pass on the way home from the VA has a flock of swans numbering about 2 dozen. It's incredible to see so many fluffy beauties in that large of a grouping.
(2)

Watching my favorite cat on her regular journeys. The neighboring Tortoiseshell is back meandering down the garden path again just a few moments ago. She's a regular visitor now. It's actually comforting to see that she's back there inspecting things, probably making sure the mice aren't expanding their families.

I liked The Mouse Squad nickname, so I've decided I'll consider that's her primary task.
(1)

Ahhh...you fortunate people with cats doing mouse patrol! We get fruit rats due to all the fruit trees in our region. Do you think cats go after them?? I surely hope so. There are cats that roam and I hope that's what they're doing.
I know my sister's cat used to bring home birds, moles, lizards, small bunnies, etc. so I'm hoping rats are included! Enjoy those cats, everyone!
(0)

My cat is such a snuggler. I use to let him with a doggie door, a year ago a neighbor trapped him then took him to the shelter.

Prior to him being.g trapped, my Kitty was an avid gopher hunter. It was not uncommon for him to bring home 14-15 gophers in a year,lol!! Now I only let him out on my dsys off work. He doesn't wander from our yard when he knows I am home. Love the kitties!!
(1)

Ok, I to cook, spend time spoiling my grandsons, oh gardening ks( great therapy to get troubles worked out plus the enjoyment of all the green and beauitful flowers.
(2)

SharynMarie, I nominate your cat as King or Queen of the Critter Control Brigade.
(1)

GardenArtist~Thank you!!! I have to share a very funny story about the gophers, LOL!!

About 4 years ago, Tiger (my kitty) brought a gopher in the master bedroom. The gopher was not disabled (you know what I mean). I started yelling for my hubs to help get this gopher. Well, hubs came in the bedroom after the gopher. I did not realize a gopher could run so FAST!!! I thought because they were underground, their eyesight was poor. This gopher took off running like a chipmunk..zoom....There was my hubs (a big man who is overweight) chasing this little gopher zoom...and behind my hubs is Tiger...chasing my husband!!!

All I could do was laugh so hard I was doubled over!!
(0)

Yes, he is King gopher hunter in our area and too bad the neighbor did not realize it.
(0)

I'm laughing too at the mental picture of Tiger chasing your husband! I'll bet if you videoed it and posted it on YouTube it would have gone viral! On the other hand, your husband might have been embarrassed to be chased by a cat!
(1)

I'm up in northern Michigan and we have turkey families this time of year. We have a momma and 7 little chicks hanging around our little farmette. She is such a good mom. She keeps watch all around while the checks feed. The slightest cluck from mom and they all gather under her skirts, so to speak, and toddle off into the woods. We love watching them. Btw.....it's not chicks...what are the baby's called? Marlon Perkins, where are you..........
(1)

Poults?

That must be so sweet to watch. How long does it take for the chicks, or rather poults, to mature?

I like to see the Canadian geese with their families, sometimes 9 little fluffy waddlers following behind Mom and Dad.

Ducks are pretty cute too. There's something just so sweet about little animal families.
(2)

We always just called them chicks (toms, hens and chicks). There were no wild turkeys here until they were reintroduced back in the 80's, since then they have reproduced rapidly. Cool.
(2)

Gophers? Ok, I have a squirrel story. A couple of years ago two of the grandbabies we staying with me mom and L for a few days while daughter and hubby had a few days away. I took them out to see where their mom went to elementary school. When we returned the kitchen was quite the mess. L was napping in the easy chair and just woke when we came in. I asked what happened in the kitchen.

He heard a crash, went into the kitchen in time to see a squirrel jump off the kitchen counter and ran down the hallway to the folks room. L was chasing him, at least as fast as an 85 year old man can. The squirrel dashed under the bed L, somehow L got him out. Then he was able to somehow get the squirrel to the door and the thing scampered out of the house. Still very hard to believe L was able to do that. I think what actually happened is he must have borrowed some neighbor cats to assist him. LOL!

That darn squirrel had chewed through the screen above the kitchen sink. Breakfast must have smelled awfully good to him that day. Then the crazy thing tried to do it the following day, but I had the window closed since screen was in for repair.

I also had a squirrel get into my house about eight years ago now. I kept hearing scampering. Finally, after this had been going on for a few days, I spotted tge thing running in behind my washing machine. I heard it moving around inside the dryer. I carefully slid the dryer away from the wall. Thankfully duct tape was handy so I taped over the dryer vent opening on the dryer. I was so afraid the squirrel would dash out while taping it in. It didn't. So I slid the dryer out onto the deck, took the tape off, and the darn thing at first would not come out. I then tipped the dryer from one side to the other, making quite a racket. Finally that crazy squirrel came out of there like a shot. I have never seen a squirrel run so fast I haven't laughed that hard in a long time! And the squirrel never tried to come back. THE END.
(5)

Good story Glad. I have had squirrels in my place too. I used to keep the balcony open a bit for the cats cause their litter box was on the deck. One day I heard my wall unit shaking, looked up and a squirrel was happily sitting there. My two cats didn't even notice. :)
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter