Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Gersh, it is kind of creepy. When renovating one of the rooms at my house, removed old horsehair plaster, there was a dead squirrel, actually sort of mummified behind the wall. That happened long before I bought the house from the look of that squirrel. Creepy!
(1)

My favorite thing today is just reading all the happy posts here, about all the critters and seeing all of you having such a good time! [{{{HUGS}}}]
(0)

My favorite thing is that I have never seen the SKINK lizard occupying the corner of the front driveway, nearest the mailbox. My hubby said it looks like a snake because of the small legs, and it has lived there over a year. Should I name it too?
(1)

Sendme2help,
I vote that you please go ahead and name it. It's fun when you name critters! We see one now and then, too. I view seeing them as a special privilege due to their rarity. They aren't creepy to me, but I suppose they vary in appearance and we vary in taste. Enjoy your garden!
(1)

Creepy is dead mummified squirrels found in the walls after plaster was removed. It had probably been there at least 50 years.
(0)

Gladimhere,
I agree! Not appealing at all. But a good story to tell for years to come.
(1)

Coloresue, when I see the skink, I shall either name it or scream. How is that?
(0)

Sendme2help,
That's funny! And okay, too. A skink only deserves a scream if you've built up a scary picture in your mind before you ever see it. Do you know some have attractive blue tails? I look forward to times I get to see that kind of tail. Have you tried putting in your browser "skink pictures"? The pictures I saw look scarier and larger than the skinks I've seen. At least you'd be prepared for it's general appearance. I wish you a good experience with no screaming.
(1)

I'm with Coloresue, I think you should name that lizard. I even had a spider last year who I named...and I am honestly terrified of those...but he was in a spot, I knew he was there, he was always there...all summer long..so I named him Claude....he stayed there way into the fall...not sure where he went after that...I'm guessing they dont' stay too long on this earth...I guess he went to spider heaven after that...but as long as he stayed away from me, I just let him be..and said hello to him every night when I went out to bring the kids in... (cats)
(2)

Aww Glad....it makes me happy that you went to such lengths to help the little squirrel get out...that's awesome!! I love squirrels. I have raised a few of the little sugar gliders on bottles. I had one once who was newborn with no fur who had gotten blown out of his nest during the storm the night before...Of all things...Mama's kitty brought him in and just plopped that cold little thing beside us as if to say "help him please".....we couldn't believe he didn't eat him but I guess he sensed the little fellow needed help...

Long story short, I raised him on KMR and he began to thrive...it was tedious and time consuming but he made it...I wanted to keep him and he was very smart, he lived in my front bedroom and I had an 8 x 10 rug rolled up in the corner where he promptly turned that into his "tree"...I loved him so much, but one day he got out of that room and had a close call with one of my cats...He was ok, but that made me realize that next time he might not be so lucky. I worked with an animal rehab person and we got him acclimated to be a wild critter again..

After about two months, he was ready to release. I came home and got Mama and we drove an hour's drive where my little guy was waiting to be set free. The lady read a sweet poem about him, and the cage was opened. He popped out and immediately went to the tree nearby...where a little girl squirrel was waiting for him...then he stopped, looked back to me, flew over to Mama and finally to me...He nuzzled me on the cheek and then flew to the tree and off he went with his little girlfriend..up into the starry sky...I have the most precious picture of him still sitting on our piano..It was one of the most rewarding and happy rescues of my life...Now I am missing him...
(4)

Sorry I got long winded on that last one..remembering my little guy makes me happy...this morning I am loving coolish feel of a pretty fall day and the sound of crows cawing in the trees. I love that sound...reminds me of being at my grandma's house in the country..
(2)

hope22,
I love your squirrel story! It's amazing how your squirrel said goodbye to you and your Mom! A priceless memory.
And now I will be missing Claude, no longer on bug duty outside of your home. What a great name for him!
I'm going to look up sugar gliders to see a picture of the squirrel you rescued. I'll bet it was a demanding job feeding it when it was young. I'm glad you were able to rescue it and return it to the wild. I hope you have a great day.
(1)

I need to try to upload a pic of him in my avatar...He is so tiny he is hard to see...but you could see his big dark eyes and his teeny tiny self...He was 4 inches tall tops and when he got old enough to fly, I would stand on the opposite side of the bedroom and he would take off and land on my head or my arms...then I would raise my hand with him on it and he would fly back to his "tree"....Lord I loved that little squirrel. When I would come home on weekends to see Mama, I would bring him in a little bird cage that had a swing in it. It was so funny as he would sit on that swing and hang on with his tiny hands...he was amazing...It almost killed me to let him go...but had I kept him and the cats got him I would have really gone insane...I'm going to see if I can find his picture already in my laptop....when he was a baby I would lay him on my neck so he could feel my heart beating...it seems to soothe him....His name was Jasper....
(1)

Jasper sounds sensational! How could you not love him? I looked at pictures and can see how cute he had to be. So tiny, too! It looks like he was very furry and cuddly...if he ever stopped moving enough to be cuddled. Yes, letting go would be so very hard for me, too. But we do what we have to do to save our loved ones from suffering.
(0)

I'm enjoying the tales of the squirrels and other little critters. It's rewarding to read how much they bring to the life of people with whom they come in contact.

Adding another favorite thing... the energy of a fall storm, the freshness of the air...

The pleasure of getting out my boxes of lovely cards and sending them to friends or relatives....just for the sheer enjoyment of doing it.

Pumpkins, squash and this season's first apples in the store.

Thinking about fresh cider. Thinking about the donuts that go so well with fresh cider. Thinking about having to go on a diet after eating too many donuts....no, that's not a favorite thing!
(1)

Hope, I never heard of sugar gliders. Jasper sure is a cute little squirrel! Do they actually fly? Or do they glide down from heights then have to scamper and climb back up to glide down again? I found some video of them gliding down on Youtube, but haven't seen one of them flying up.how big do they get?
(0)

hope22,
Jasper is sooo cute! So amazingly small! He must have needed to eat hourly or similar when you first rescued him. What a lovely memory!
(0)

Coloresue, did look up the skink pictures, that is where I got the idea about screaming. Haven't always been this way, I am sure this feeling will pass before I see the skink.
(0)

GardenArtist, how is the new thread you started: Gardening as therapy? Has everyone seen it, because the beauty of nature is therapeutic to me, even the screaming over a snake, or skink can be therapy.
(0)

SendMe, I haven't spent as much time on it as I planned to. I still want to respond to more posts than I have. Thanks for the reminder!

I'm having a bit of an encounter with an uncooperative foot and leg that wants to be babied while it battles tendonitis, and need to spend a few hours with a bag of peas on my foot or elevated on piles of quilts. Cuts down on my Internet play time!
(1)

Sorry about the foot and leg syndrome, are you going to eat those peas once they are defrosted?
(0)

No, they're strictly for use as an ice bag/cold compress. Frozen peas make good cooling pads.
(0)

Yes, I know that because a little limp, then a little hip pain, then foot and leg syndrome. Ice bags, started with frozen peas, massage, warm showers, chiropractic. Seems all this started in lower spine, called 'radiculopathy', couldn't walk for about two years. Better now, but threatens to come back.
(0)

My favorite thing about the above is the doctors thought I would just go home and take all those pain meds, and they were wrong. The chiropractor helped me.
Medicare denied payment because 'not enough was written about the need for chiro care '. So sorry medicare, I didn't spend all the medical funds required for neurologist, orthopedic m.d.'s, more pain meds, MRI's etc., to 'write more' !! Cost more!! I wanted to get well. My favorite rant. Sorry garden, hope your foot and leg are not like mine. We didn't eat the peas either.
(1)

A new month, the first day! Another chance to fine tune the budget and come out better off by halloween.
(1)

Pumpkin pie in season. Maybe growing my own pumpkin over on GardenArtist's thread: "Gardening as therapy. " (As soon as I find out how, as in putting it in a planter?) There are new challenges after the rain, and I must consider the investment in my garden. However, it really is good therapy if not over-worked.
(1)

Oh Yes!!! Pumpkie Pie season!!! And Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte!!!! Love all the scents and sights of the fall. I love the scent in the air...I think it has a name?? defoliation? is that it?? But it a sweet, woodsy smell, I suppose as all the trees are turning and getting ready to shed their leaves and do whatever it is they do to get ready for the winter then spring...

Thanks for reminding me of Pumpkin Pie Sendme....I may have to go to our local WD and get one of their pies...theirs are almost as good as mine...without all the fuss...
(2)

Pumpkin pie will be on the menu soon as Thanksgiving weekend is coming up here in the "great white north". Yum. I just wish someone else would be the one to make it ;)
(2)

C, punkin pie is only good if someone else makes it. Just got a flyer in the mail from our pie store. Are we not allowed to mention stores names?
(0)

Cwillie, let us know how your great white north thanksgiving goes, will ya? Did you have pilgrims up there too, on the first thanksgiving? No, really, what is the origin of the holiday?
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter