Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
6 7 8 9 10
GA Yes they always have a lumber jack competition every year. You know the old log rolling contest etc. Along with the standard rides, junk food etc.

Mom and I used to go every year. Get there at 11:00 am. and leave at 10:00 pm.

I used to look so forward to this day every year. My husband wants to go but I just don't think my heart could take it.
(1)

And how about fresh mown grass in the Spring/early summer? Is there anything better than a big, deep breath of that? And (especially if you live in the North like me) after a long, cold winter.....just throwing those windows open so that wonderful, fresh smell can invade your house....I have allergies and I know I'll pay for it every time....w/puffy eyes and stuffed nose next AM.....don't care....won't give it up....just get out the Claritan!
(1)

Oh Mina I know what you mean about the Claritan! I love the smell of lilacs, we have several! and they just close my nose up!,, But i deal with it...LOL
(2)

Pam, you reminded me of all the fragrant plants....lilacs in the spring and peonies in late spring, the sweet fragrance of honeysuckle and the heady aroma of petunias in the summer...

And always (and I think I already posted about this, but it's worth writing it again), the sweet but calming fragrance of lemon balm and the mints throughout the growing season.
(2)

Lately I've really been enjoying listening to Audio Books, while I go through things in this house or do big home improvement projects. Feels almost as if I have company vs it being just me and the dogs. Pretty Awesome when piped through the big speakers!
(1)

My fave thing is definitely from my break we went to tenerife an island off N Africa but Spanish and my little angel of a grandson said to everyone Hola! Yo me llamo xxxxx and always said poor favor and gracias. He made himself very popular which isn't bad when you consider he is only 4
(2)

or even por favor
(2)

Oh and watching his little face light up when he was given the chance to go and hug a dolphin
(2)

The smell of a freshly washed/vacuumed car :)

Back before when I actually had free time I use to detail my car... my best friend and I use to do the detailing twice a year, plus wax the vehicles. Oh my gosh thinking about it now exhausts me as we would be out in my driveway for hours on end. What was cute, my best friend looked like Marilyn Monroe, and before you knew it, the neighborhood husbands on my cul-de-sac were out doing much needed yard work or washing their own cars... just like clock work.
(5)

Now you're talking guy stuff: Hot babes washing cars in skimpy clothing on hot days.....
(1)

Getting the first fall garden catalogue which just arrived, and the first spring catalogue which usually comes around Christmastime. First Christmas magazine is always a pleasure too; I picked up mine yesterday.

And, yes the fragrance of freshly mown grass is better than the grass itself. I too love to open the windows after being cooped up all winter, but there's always the excitement of the first snowfall, the first spring rain, and the freshness each bring.

And the first little crocuses or other spring harbingers peeping up through the soil, and sometimes even through the remains of one of the snowfalls.

Blizzards are great too. Stock up on food, make a big pot of soup and homemade bread, snuggle up in a quilt with a good book.
(2)

Windy, to be fair, how about hot guys washing cars?
(5)

Now that's just creepy.......
(0)

Windy, are you inferring you're not among the car devotees who wash and polish their cars every weekend, topping it all off with a few beers? I thought that was a "guy" ritual.
(1)

No, I look for the charity car washes with lots of cheerleaders....

That's maybe a little creepy..............I'll just slink away now..
(2)

Yes Windy go back underneath the rock. :)
(2)

More favorite things...

First home made soup of the season, especially if accompanied by homemade bread. (Now, where did my baker go?)

Healing from an injury - at last, I'm becoming human again!

Chicken Soup books. (Where do I start first? - so many to choose from.)

Wandering around a book store - Borders will never be replaced; it was unique and had its own culture. Sunday mornings at Borders were special. Other than a library, no place had so much to offer that opened and expanded the mind.

Christmas was an equally special time. Once the lines were so long while a sale was on that the staff came out with little cups of hot chocolate to serve the customers waiting in line. It was such a nice touch, especially during the holiday season.

Once a young man sat down at the baby grand piano in our local Borders and began playing a concerto. People on the first floor began drifting toward the piano and watching in fascination as his fingers moved with expert precision over the keyboard. People on the second floor drifted over toward the open staircase to watch from above.

It was one of the most moving experiences I've had while shopping, which isn't even an accurate description of visiting a bookstore because it's so much more than a shopping experience.

Anyone else have a favorite store that helps you transcend reality and drift into a world and culture created by the store?
(3)

First hot chocolate of the season. Chilly days just beg for hot chocolate!
(2)

The smile of a little one, momentarily staring to absorb what's happening, gradually smiling, then grinning and clapping his or her little hands enthusiastically.

The glee of children at Christmastime when opening their presents.

Chidlren's first experiences - seeing that first butterfly, first kitten, first puppy, first birthday.
(4)

Could not wait for hot chocolate. We had some, tasted great. In the heat of August, at 111° farenheit.
(1)

It takes a really, really true chocolaholic to have it in 111 degree weather!
(3)

That is why I keep plastic spoons in my car, so even if the favorite Milky Way bars start to melt, I can set at the red light and scoop !!
(3)

Ladee, you're a true chocolaholic too! I never thought of spoons for melting chocolate in hot weather - great idea!
(1)

Ya, started using spoons because licking the paper in traffic was starting to make people stare !!!!
(1)

Ladee, you've provided my laugh for the day!

But I'll bet no one would stare if you were fiddling with a smart phone - that's not even unusual any more.

The Aztec gods would shine favorably on you for your dedication to chocolate.
(1)

Oh, I will keep that in mind next time someone is looking while I have my orgasmic chocolate, and I will say, 'Bet the Aztec gods aren't happy with you right now...."
(1)

Sitting on my deck late at night, with a full moon, listening to the chorus of the owls in the woods with a cool breeze foretelling the coming of fall....heaven on earth.

Watching my babies play in the yard early on a cool morning while sipping that first hot cup of coffee of the day.
(2)

Hope, that's a nice image. We don't have any owls here but it is kind of nice to listen to the chorus of crickets, even if they only sing one song over and over again. They need a conductor to provide some different music for a change.
(2)

Five million people have attended a Harvest Crusade in the past consecutive 26 years! Phil Wickham is one of my favorite singers. This weekend, in Anaheim Stadium, California, Friday, Aug. 28th, Saturday Aug. 29th, and Sunday Aug. 30th this event is having it's 26th year. Phil Wickham sings: (live on t.v.)
"This is amazing grace, this is amazing love, that you would take my place, that you would bear my cross, that you would lay down your life, and I would be set free." " There is no one like our God!"
(0)

Bavarian chocolate pudding, all gone!
(1)

6 7 8 9 10
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter